Contract NRA N.011-040-2016/1F: Consulting Engineering Services for the Periodic Maintenance of National Route 11, Section 4 between Kwaggasnek (km 39.00) and Volksrust (km 48.7)
National Road 11 Section 4 is situated within the Newcastle Local Municipality and consists of a 10.2 km long, 2 lane single carriageway road with paved shoulders. The average lane width is 3.7 m and shoulders vary between 0.2 m and 2.7 m wide.
The following works were carried out under this contract:
- Application of a fog spray (65% cationic spray grade emulsion, diluted 50/50 with water) as a pre-treatment for the entire road section;
- Construction of base patches using bitumen stabilised material (BSM1);
- Construction of asphalt surface patches (continuously graded, medium, A-E2);
- Construction of edge break and shoulder repairs;
- Construction of concrete lined and subsoil drains;
- Construction of a 20/7/7 mm split seal using bitumen rubber (S-R1) tack coat, S-E1 penetration coat and Cat 65 fog spray over the entire road surface.